Do you plan to open a business in Glendale, California?

[vc_row fullwidth=”true” fullwidth_content=”false” css=”.vc_custom_1470439946257{padding-top: 30px !important;}”][vc_column][vc_column_text]Start with creating a business plan. Information on how to create a business plan can be found at your local library or at Glendale Community College. Additional resources are available at the Small Business Development Center by calling (818) 552-3321.

A fictitious business name (also known as a “DBA”) is needed. The Glendale News-Press has applications available for a small fee and can help you complete the process. The Glendale News-Press is located in downtown Los Angeles at 202 W. 1st St., 2nd Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90012. Their telephone number is (818) 637-3200 extension 208. Applications can also be submitted at a Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk branch office. For more information, click here.

Select a site. Determine zoning requirements and secure any special zoning clearances. Contact the City of Glendale Community Development Department at (818) 548-2140 for more information.

Obtain a business permit: To open a business in Glendale, a business permit “Business Registration Certificate,” or “Home Occupation Permit” if it is a home business is required. An application can be obtained by visiting the City of Glendale Building & Safety Division (Community Development Dept.) at 633 E. Broadway, Suite 101 Glendale or calling (818) 548-3200.

Are there zoning requirements for businesses in Glendale?

The city of Glendale asks that you secure zoning for your proposed business location. The City of Glendale Community Planning Department can be contacted at (818) 548-2140. They can answer questions regarding zoning requirements in your area.

How do you apply for a business permit?

To apply for a business permit, also called a “Business Registration Certificate (BRC),” you will need to visit the City of Glendale Building Division at 633 East Broadway, Suite 101. They can be reached by phone at (818) 548-3200. If you wish, you can print your application from the City of Glendale website.

For a complete list of applications for permits and licenses, you will need to view the website or contact the City of Community Development Department at (818) 548-3200. They are located in the Municipal Services Department at 633 East Broadway, Suite 101.

Do you have all the information needed to apply for your “Business Registration Certificate?”

Effective February 10, 2014, all new businesses opening within Glendale must apply for a Business Registration Certificate prior to operating. Read the information below as there may be other requirements which necessitate a new certificate to be obtained.

On December 10, 2013, the Glendale City Council adopted an ordinance establishing a Business Registration Certificate (BRC). Although the name of this certificate may be new to you, the concept has been in place for over ten years as a Zoning Use Certificate (ZUC) and prior to that as a Use and Occupancy Certificate (U&O), which are required to conduct business in the city.

What is a BRC?
A Business Registration Certificate or BRC is a certificate which allows the City to ensure that businesses are operating according to the rules of the Glendale Municipal Code. This annually-renewed certificate will allow the City to have a better understanding of the business activity taking place in Glendale, allowing the City to better serve the needs of the business community.

What are the changes that affect businesses?
To operate a business in Glendale, you are required to obtain a BRC regardless of any other licenses or certificates you may have previously obtained. The most significant change as part of the BRC compared to a ZUC or U&O is that the new BRC will need to be renewed on an annual basis to continue operating your business in Glendale.

Do you have a current ZUC or U&O?
If you have a current ZUC or U&O issued by the City for your business in Glendale, you are still required to obtain a BRC to replace these previous certificates; however, a grace period is in effect until June 30, 2015. If you have either, we ask that you bring these certificates or other supporting documentation with you when applying for your BRC. Bringing this documentation with you will greatly expedite the process to issue your new BRC.

When do you need a new BRC?
In addition to renewing your BRC on an annual basis, certain events will require you to obtain a new BRC even if your expiration date has not been reached. If you change your businesses activities, square footage, business name, ownership or other such details, you must apply for a new BRC. Once anything listed on your BRC is not current, your BRC is no longer valid and you may be cited for operating without a valid BRC.

Is there a fee for the BRC?
There is fee to cover the cost of issuing the BRC and maintaining an accurate database of businesses within Glendale. Contact the Planning and Neighborhood Services Division at (818) 937-8300 to find out more information about the most current fees.

What should you do next?
The City has established a grace period for businesses that currently have a valid ZUC or U&O; this grace period is in place until June 30, 2015. However, if you are a new business in Glendale or a business already established and operating without a valid ZUC or U&O, you are required to obtain a BRC effective February 10, 2014.

In preparation for the time to apply for your new BRC, we recommend you gather the appropriate documents necessary including a copy of your current lease agreement, your valid ZUC or U&O (if you have one), and the completed Licensing Master Application. Once you have all these items in hand, give us a call at (818) 937-8300 and we’ll tell you if you can simply mail in the application materials with your payment, or if you must visit us in person.

What happens if you don’t get a BRC?
Because it’s the law in Glendale for every business to have a valid BRC, operating without one could result in fines. The City wants to provide every opportunity to help all the businesses in Glendale comply with this new law as easily as possible. If you’re not sure whether you need a BRC or not, please give us a call at (818) 937-8300 so we can help you.

Who does NOT need a BRC?
Business operations without a fixed location in Glendale such as a Realtor with an office in Los Angeles selling a house in Glendale, or a towing company with offices in Burbank towing a car in Glendale are not required to obtain a BRC.

Individuals conducting a business from the confines of their home are also not required to obtain a BRC; however, they do require a Home Occupation Permit to be issued before work may commence.

A note about subleases or multiple tenants:
If you are subleasing any part of your business’s space to another business/person, please pass this information along to your sub-lessee. The primary lease holder has a responsibility to ensure sub-lessees are operating within the limits of the law and we want to make sure all businesses are treated equitably throughout Glendale.

Business visitors and patrons:
Businesses are required to have their BRC posted in a visible location for all to see. If you do not see a BRC posted in a business or suspect they are operating illegally within Glendale, please give our Code Compliance staff a call at (818) 548-3700. Our staff will follow up with the business and work with them to ensure they are complying with the laws in Glendale as they are required.

Who to contact for more information?
We’re here to make the implementation and transition to a BRC as simple and worry free as possible for the businesses of Glendale. If you have any questions about this process, please don’t hesitate to contact us by phone or visit us in person; please keep in mind our public counter is open between 7:00am and 12:00pm Monday through Friday.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row css=”.vc_custom_1470440048111{padding-bottom: 30px !important;}”][vc_column][vc_empty_space height=”30px”][mk_button dimension=”flat” size=”medium” url=”” target=”_blank” align=”center” margin_bottom=”0″ margin_right=”0″]Licensing Master Application (L-100)[/mk_button][vc_empty_space height=”30px”][mk_button dimension=”flat” size=”medium” url=”” target=”_blank” align=”center” margin_bottom=”0″ margin_right=”0″]Business Registration Certificate Application Guide (L-122)[/mk_button][vc_empty_space height=”30px”][mk_button dimension=”flat” size=”medium” url=”” target=”_blank” align=”center” margin_bottom=”0″ margin_right=”0″]Website[/mk_button][/vc_column][/vc_row]